shares number

Gurbir Singh:

New phone number to call
NZ Police have launched a new non-emergency phone number today

From today, New Zealanders are getting a new phone number they can call for non-emergency issues they want to report to the Police.

At 10:05 am on the 10th of the 5th, New Zealand Police launched 105 (“ten five”), the eagerly anticipated number for the public to report non-emergency situations to Police.

“More than 60 years on from the first 111 call, the launch of 105 today is a milestone for New Zealand Police, offering a new way for people to connect with us,” says Commissioner of Police Mike Bush.

“The 105 number will make it easier for the public to engage with us for non-emergency help, advice and support.”  

‘105’ is a national non-emergency number that will be answered 24/7 by highly trained Police staff. It is free to call from all landline and mobile numbers.

“We want people to use 105 to report non-emergency situations. For example, if your car has been stolen, your property has been damaged, or you want to give Police information about crime in your area; use 105.

“111, on the other hand, should still be called immediately if a crime is taking place or there’s a threat to life or property. It’s the number you use to connect with Police, Fire and Emergency, and the ambulance services.”

This is expected to reduce the pressure on the existing ‘111’ and would further streamline the existing service for incidents that are ‘happening now’ or ‘just happened’.

“Calls to 111 should be limited to cases where an emergency is happening now or just happened and there’s a threat to life or property. If it’s already happened and there’s no immediate danger, call 105,” says Police Minister, Stuart Nash.

As well as by phone, people can go online to the 105 website to report certain non-emergency situations, and get updates on or add more information to their existing reports. Issues such as lost property, intentional property damage, shoplifting, general theft, and theft from a car can currently be reported at

“We’re encouraging people to report non-emergencies online when and if they can,” says Commissioner Bush.

There are other online options also available for reporting crime anonymously through Crimestoppers, non-urgent road incidents via Community Roadwatch and online incidents via The Orb website.